Skip to main content

Dearborn Heights Library

Foreclosure Prevention and Assistance Resources

Resources for Michigan homeowners facing foreclosure. 

Debt Counseling/Management Assistance: Provided by GreenPath Debt Solutions.

Foreclosure Rescue Scams: Another Potential Stress for Homeowners in Distress. Facts for Consumers article from the Federal Trade Commission. 

Foreclosure Scams 101: A Youtube video on foreclosure scams.

Guide for Avoiding Foreclosure: More helpful information from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Home Foreclosure and Debt Cancellation: Information from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service about the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007.

Mortgage Payments Sending You Reeling? Here's What to Do: Information provided by the Federal Trade Commision.

Mortgage Refinance Program: Information by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority about Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) Grants.

Resources for Consumers: If you are having difficulty making your mortgage payment, one of the most important things you can do is seek assistance. The following resources provide information and links to agencies and organizations that may be able to help you. Provided by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.

Tips for Avoiding Foreclosure:  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has put together helpful tips for homeowners having problems paying their mortgage.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affair's Home Loan Guaranty Services: For War Veterans only.

Wayne County Mortgage Foreclosure Prevention Program: Click the link to visit the website or simply call 313-833-2948 for more information.

Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Project.

Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency: Provides a range of comprehensive services to low-income persons, which promote positive change for Out-Wayne County communities, individuals and families empowering them to become self-sufficient.

Wayne County Taxpayer Assistance: Click the link or call 313-224-6105 for help with overdue property taxes.